Our 5 day program, inspired by Google’s Design Sprint, will bring together 12 students with great potential and provide them with real clients, real cases and real budget to execute a project under the guidance of experienced, professional consultants.
We will equip these carefully selected students with key soft skills such as entrepreneurial and lateral thinking skills in addition to problem-solving, leadership and team-building skills. The students will further be instructed in the relevant hard consultancy skills including that of data analysis/management, scheduling as well as computer, research and financial skills. Graduates of the program will leave with a strong understanding of business processes and operation as well as acquire a range of relevant abilities. More excitingly, the client is looking to execute the best business plan and students have the opportunity to intern for the project!
OWN Academy works closely with creative, successful and dedicated professionals keen to mentor and share their passions with these students. These mentors will ensure your child develops key skills such as:
- The ability to work as part of a team;
- Interpersonal and communication skills;
- Creativity and innovation;
- Problem-solving and strategic planning ability;
- Analytical skills;
- The ability to cope with pressure and challenges;
- The capacity to maximise impact within financial restraints
Student Role: Over the course of 5 days, students will learn the ins and outs of a small scale business, explore different business models and provide a valid business plan to the client. On the final day, the client will assume a role on the panel of judges. Based on the feasibility and attractiveness of the business plan, if the client chooses the project, the students have the opportunity to intern and see their idea come to fruition!
Client’s Brief: A client contacts OWN Academy consulting team for assistance in establishing a store with sustainability at its heart. The client provides a direction of what type of products are desired but will only sell those which are made from recycled, sustainable, biodegradable and non-toxic materials. There must be a focus on products that are fairly traded and that contribute to making a greener and healthier world for all… What is to be done?
Tentative Course Schedule: Duration: 5 Days x 6 Hours each
Day 1 :
- Introduction to Environmental Sustainability, Entrepreneurship.
- Empathy building.
- Team building activities.
- What does it require to run a business smoothly?
- What is a business plan?
- Why are we here?
- Imagine. Thinking out of the box.
- Define / Stating the problem (Idea).
- 5 W’s
- What is consultancy? Potential business generation. How to provide advice to a business, How to work for a client, How to work with a budget, How to give advice.
- Different ways to operate a business.
- Generating a business plan.
- Research. Identifying and creating the need for the product in market.
- Generating tools for data collection. Product details.
- Customer Identification.
- Financial analysis – Budgeting. Price points. Funding. Revenue generation.
- Planning a meeting with relevant people/ field trip to collect more information.
- Marketing. Unique selling point.
- Importance of Social Media.
- Competitor Analysis. Market positioning.
- Operational and Organizational structure.
- Prototyping / Sketching / Website development.
- Generating a Sales pitch.
- Testing your product.
- PowerPoint presentation.
- Mentor Session.
- Improvisation on the business plan.
- Pitching your business idea. Consultation to the client.
Due to the levels of intimate collaboration that this course entails, spaces on the OWN Academy Business Consultancy program are limited to 12 students. These students must demonstrate an ambition to engage, learn and achieve as well as exhibiting a creative flair. Applications consist of a 2-minute video where candidates must answer:
- Tell us about yourself.
- Why are you interested in this program?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Have you had any relevant experiences?
- Anything else you would like to share with us?
Video applications can be sent to email@example.com with a subject title “OWN Consulting – Application [Student’s Name]”