We are entering the 4th industrial revolution and our world is changing at an unprecedented pace, and OWN 20XX is here to address this.
Based on OWN Academy’s insider industry knowledge and research, and the Future of Work Report of the World Economic Forum (WEF), today’s secondary school students are likely to be placed in positions that will require radically different core skills from today’s–this Program addresses these necessary skills head-on, contextualised within our philosophy of real-world and experiential learning. Students will be prepared for the working world of the not-so-distant future.
WHAT IS IT?
OWN 20XX is a hands-on, experiential internship skills bootcamp designed for secondary school students aged 15 to 18 that are serious about being prepared for their future careers, whether they’re certain or uncertain of how this path looks like. Students join OWN Business Agency as an Intern Trainee to develop skills in the area of Business Development, Marketing, and Design and in this process, build a portfolio of work to present to future employers. It is designed in a series format, where students and scaffold their learning in each subsequent course.
Students will leverage OWN Academy’s strong and expansive network of relationships with industry partners and under our guidance, provide innovative business solutions back to the respective companies.
This extensive program provides the groundwork to become a competent intern from day one of an internship and allows interns to hit the ground running, being a value-add to the company from the beginning. Guidance from the program acts as a middle ground and intermediary to subsequent internships, providing an appropriate segway to an internship which often provides minimal guidance.
HOW DOES OWN 20XX WORK?
- Students target a company of choice (from within or outside OWN Academy’s network)
- Under the guidance of OWN coaches, students will be guided in a project-based manner to provide an implementable and feasible digital marketing campaign to the respective company
- Alongside the project, students will be trained in growth hacking, data analysis, administrative skills, event management, and graphic design.
- Students plan an event and showcase their solutions after invitation of representatives of said company to bargain for internship opportunities.
OUTCOMES OF THE PROGRAM
This is no simple feat. Students are committed to a 12 hour program (per course), but in addition are expected to complete approximately 2 hours of work per class hour in their own time. The outcomes of such hard work and dedication and OWN 20XX provides students with:
- The ability to build a network with industry professionals while demonstrating and proving students’ value as a competent intern
- Increased employability via
- A presentable portfolio for internship and/ or university applications
- Valuable and demonstrable work experience
- Insight to the working world, with guidance into how to navigate the working world, in the format of clearly defined project-based work
- Self-awareness and the ability to understand what’s an appropriate fit
- Foundational understanding of how everything is connected in the business world
- The ability to be proactive, rather than reactive by presenting an innovative campaign
OWN 20XX does not only provide CV and cover letter writing skills, but encompasses all necessary skills for students to succeed as an intern and/ or employee.