SUMMER REAL WORLD LEARNING WEEK (RWL)
As part of our mission to bridge education and industry, the Real World Learning Summer Program brings the real world into the classroom. Students will be guided in offering solutions to real client companies.
OWN Academy’s Real World Learning Program is a student consultancy for students to work with real clients. The program will run for one week and will be held twice. The first session will run Aug 5 – 9 and the second session will run Aug 12 – 16, 2019.
The project week will include mentorship and skills training workshops with industry professionals, a real project brief to pitch back to a client company, and exposure to the design thinking process from plan to execution. This program will give students the tools and knowledge to add value to companies and increase students’ employability as an intern in the future.
All our programs are designed to prepare students to tackle the challenges of the future. The RWL Program is designed to train students within our skills framework that is adapted from the World Economic Forum’s Future of Jobs Report 2018.
This Summer 2019, the Real World Learning Program will use Social Media and Marketing as the context for engaging in our skills framework, to break down the skills and mindset necessary for working as a social media intern. We design the program with industry leaders and invite industry mentors to teach concepts, guide students, and provide feedback throughout the 5 days.
Social media has become a powerful tool on all fronts for businesses, professionals and personal spheres. From extensive research with our company partners, we have learned that one of the most demanded internship positions is within social media.
LEARNING GOALS FOR STUDENTS
- Exercise “design thinking” in problem solving and business contexts
- Analyze a project brief to dissect all the components required to deliver a solution
- Gain technical and theoretical understanding on how social media marketing is executed from a macro to micro level, as well as other business considerations such as competitive analysis, branding, planning and execution
- Develop transferable and marketable skills useful for internships
- Practice workplace competencies such as leadership, teamwork, communication, strategic planning, analytical thinking, flexibility, and time management
- Build their own portfolio and brand for future applications
- Social Media and Engagement
- Branding, Target Audience, and Messaging
- Storytelling x Social Media
- Understanding a Client and Analyzing a Project Brief
- Introduction to Market Research
- Online and Offline Integration in Social Media Campaigns
- Meet Client Company
- Idea Generation Session
- Develop Project Plans
- Create Content Strategy
- Structuring and Delivering a Pitch Effectively
- Lightning Pitches with Peer and Mentor Feedback
- Plan Execution
- Field Trip with Mentors (tba)
- Plan Execution
- Final Presentation Preparation
- Final Pitch to Client Company
- Reflection and Feedback
Schedule may be subject to change.
OUTCOMES FOR STUDENTS
Students will present final project ideas with samples of their plan execution to the client company. Success will be measured by assessing quality of deliverables, feasibility of project, and engagement rates on the chosen social media platforms.
Early Application Deadline: May 1, 2019
Regular Application Deadline: June 1, 2019
Session 1: Aug 5 – 9
Session 2: Aug 12 – 16
Minimum 12 students and maximum 20 students per session.
Early Application: $8,000 HKD before May 1st
Regular Application: $9,000 HKD before June 1st
The tuition fee includes one week of skills training, professional mentoring, and personalized coaching. Personal expenses and lunches are not included.
HOW TO APPLY
- APPLICATION: Submit your online application form here. The application form includes a 200 word personal statement about any topic you care about. Our admissions team will be in touch to schedule an interview with you.
- OWN ACADEMY INTERVIEW: In the 15-minute video interview, we want to learn about you and your dreams. We will ask you about your past work experience, extracurricular experience, goals, and motivations. This is your chance to shine!
- PAYMENT: After your placement has been confirmed, secure your spot with payment of tuition.