Technology is changing the world faster than our education systems can keep up. As the Fourth Industrial Revolution continues to accelerate, we firmly believe in the importance of learning in real world situations and outside of the classroom to prepare for the future.
WHAT WE DO
OWN Academy aims to revolutionize the way we learn. In our Career Accelerator program, we offer direct learning in the real world through exclusive access to internship placements in innovative companies during a 9 month program*.
Students will gain invaluable experience in 3 month rotations with different companies across industries to develop crucial foundational skills, guided by OWN Academy’s skills framework.
On top of premium internship placements, we offer lecture and workshop series with industry leaders, networking events within the intern cohort, personalized coaching, and access to our extensive network of professionals and companies.
* A summer extension, to a total of 12 months, is also available upon request.
WHY OWN ACADEMY’S CAREER ACCELERATOR
We provide unparalleled access to real world learning to high school students that are prestigious even for university students. Alumni of our program have credited their internship placements and OWN Academy’s support as providing them with an edge in university applications and other future pursuits.
- Grow within a structured and supportive setting, from peers, mentors, and OWN Academy
- Exercise cooperation and leadership within a team
- Learn from passionate, driven and successful mentors across industries
- Develop lateral thinking and applying knowledge across roles and positions
- Practice adaptability in adjusting and thriving in new settings
Inspired by the World Economic Forum’s Future of Jobs Report 2018, we prepare students to tackle the challenges of the future by training them in our skills framework.
- Communication and Branding: To be adaptive in language, delivery, and context. To understand and express your own purpose, skillset, and angle in different contexts.
- Social and Emotional Intelligence: To be conscious of the needs, motivations of others and yourself. To effectively navigate relationship dynamics to reach objectives.
- Big Picture Visualization and Reverse Engineering: To recognize the connectedness of every node in a network. To see the consequences of actions and relationships within a network. To see the network behind every individual instance and therefore be able to holistically create with purpose.
- Problem Identification: To understand context in order to ask the “right” questions. To take initiative to identify potential issues before the need arises.
- Solution Creation and Resourcefulness: To be resourceful in creating solutions. To leverage social relationships and operational skills to optimize solutions.
INDUSTRIES AND PARTNER COMPANIES
OWN Academy partners with the following innovative industries in forward industries that allows for holistic development for personal and professional growth:
- Media & Publication
- Arts & Culture
- Internet of Things & Hardware
- Sharing Economy
- Financial Tech
- Supply Chain
- Food & Beverage
- Real Estate
- Social Enterprise & NGO
To identify the best intern candidates, we select only the most competitive candidates.
We are looking for high school students who embody our three core values: Entrepreneurship, Creativity, and Innovation. We recognize that these values are expressed beyond academics, including extracurriculars, hobbies, and other activities.
We encourage all high school seniors* driven to explore their future paths and carve out their careers to apply.
* Although we mostly enroll high school graduates, we also welcome applications any students age 15+ who are not formally enrolled in high school but are able to complete their requirements through other means.
We especially prefer students who display the following qualities:
- Bilingualism (English and Cantonese)
- Drive and passion for exploring potential future paths
- Curiosity for the world
- Willingness to learn
Sept 2019 – May 2020
* Specific start dates and program length are flexible and will depend on the candidate and company partners.
Application Deadline: April 7, 2019
Video Interviews: April 8 – 12, 2019
Company Interviews: April 17 – April 24, 2019
Application Deadline: May 5, 2019
Video Interviews: May 6 – 10, 2019
Company Interviews: May 15 – 22, 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- APPLICATION: Submit your online application form here. The application form includes long answer questions, a copy of your resume/CV, as well as a 90-sec video. Our admissions team will be in touch to schedule an interview with you.
- OWN ACADEMY INTERVIEW: In a 20-minute video interview, we want to learn about you and your dreams. We will ask you about your past work experience, extracurricular experience, goals, and motivations. This is your chance to shine!
- DEPOSIT: We will inform you within 5 business days about the status of your application. If you are selected, confirm your placement with a deposit to proceed with placement.
- INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT: Once we have received your deposit, we will match you with respective companies for another interview. The remaining payment will be due 30 days after the deposit.
- COMPANY INTERVIEW: Matched companies will schedule an interview with you. We will support you throughout this process with coaching and consultation.